Sunday 10 July 2011

This week I have been mostly ....

... finishing off my signs and cakes for Shepton Mallet Flea Market which is on the 17th July (bit of shameless advertising there).  Here they are ....


And some knitted cake trinket boxes.  These are stiffened and the tops open so that they can be filled with goodies, edible or wearable  .... 


 I have also knitted a special 'strawberries and cream' slice for my lovely boss who, sadly is leaving us at the end of the school term.  We've been together for 10 1/2 years - longer than many marriages - so it will be very sad but she is going on to greater things and we all wish her the very best even as we sob into our hankies. 



But of course, I got distracted half way through the week and decided to have a go at some really small knitted birds.  These ended up about 4cm long;  one with folded wings and one 'flying' .....




And so to this week's car booting activity which I did in my Skoda for the first time.  I am sure that many of you think 'I'd not be seen dead in a Skoda' and I must admit that it's a feeling I've experience of myself.  But, like trainspotting and fishing, it's probably something that should be tried before you say 'never'.  Ok, maybe not trainspotting.  But, I have to tell you that my Skoda is wonderful to drive and it has one major advantage which the manufacturers have, inexplicably, missed out of their marketing material: it's very easy to find in a car boot sale car park. Firstly, mine is bright  in-your-face red;  secondly it's slightly higher than your average saloon or estate car; and thirdly it has a very 'distinctive' (some say ugly but I like to think of it as quirky) outline.  So, I won't ever lose it when I'm laden down with goodies, which leads me on to a moan.   I don't know if it's just me but every summer at about this time the car boot season seems to go into a bit of a slump.  They are still held and people still go along to sell and to buy,  but there doesn't seem to be anything among the piles of goods on offer that I want to buy.   Come late summer things pick up again and there are bargains to be had.  And, my memory being what it is,  every year I forget that it's going to happen and it catches me by surprise.  But I did get a couple of things this morning that I want to show you because they make my heart happy.  Firstly some chenille pipe cleaner birds ...


and to go with them some vintage pom pom bunny rabbits which I love  .... 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you, albeit briefly, today. So pleased with my purchases...the silk panel will be my project for this week, when I turn it into a cushion, I think...and I just love the hand painted artwork that you created on the tables and hand mirror...You are one very clever lady!

    Hope you had a worthwhile day...I am now Mrs. Fuzzyhair, having been rained on several times throughout the day...my hair resembles a 1980's style monstrosity! ha! ;-))
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello , I am a writer in tetxiles in Hong Kong, I would like to ask for a high res photo of the pipe cleaner birds for an article, can you please contact me at cheung_edith@hotail.com. and I can explain?
    Thanks
    Edith

    ReplyDelete