Tuesday 28 June 2011

Old dogs and new books .....

I have been very busy this last week and a half painting signs, knitting cakes and sewing velvet strawberries.  One customer at Kempton Park on 14th June almost cleared my stall of signs, cakes, strawberries, tables, boxes and various other things.  This was, of course, wonderful and meant that packing up was easy but it does mean that everything has to be replaced before Shepton Flea Market on 17th July.  I've done all these things before so it's a bit boring for me (yes, I can hear your exasperated sighs - is this woman never happy?).  After all,  I want to have fun painting new things and designing new bird patterns to show you. 

This week's car boot finds included two vintage dogs ...


The first is, I believe, early 20th century.  It has a cardboard body covered with rabbit fur and its head comes off.  The lucky recipient would have found it filled with sweets.  Northern Man and Youngest Child both think he's ghastly but I think he has a charm all his own.


And the second is a wooden St Bernard complete with barrel ...



Many of you will remember the felt mouse pattern right back at the beginning of this blog.  Well, this felt scotty dog pattern came from the same source.  He's very simple to do and I was quite pleased with the result ....


And then there's the knitted poodle which comes from the wonderful Knit Your Own Dog by Osborne and Muir ...


Now, this morning I found myself with a spare 10 minutes and turned to browsing the latest offerings on Amazon.  I was very excited to find that Osborne and Muir have written a new book, Knit Your Own Cat,   This book is not available until September but, needless to say, I have pre-ordered it. 

There is also a new Fiona Goble (Knit Your Own Royal Wedding) book, The Twelve Knits of Christmas which looks great fun.  It includes a pattern for French hens, partridges, swans and geese and  a maid who doesn't look as though she'd have any truck with troublesome guests in hotel rooms.   This one is available in October and is also pre-ordered.  

So several ideas for your Christmas present lists and it is only June!

No comments:

Post a Comment