Sunday 20 March 2011

Knitted doves ...

This blog does seem very knitting orientated at the moment.  Never mind, only 6 days until our car boot sale season begins again and I can start collecting lovely things to paint. 

In the meantime, I want to show you a little idea I've been working on for a while.  Last summer I saw a lovely wedding decoration with doves, ribbons, etc - you get the idea - and began to think about knitting birds (I've already shown you my knitted blue tit pattern). I searched the web and found quite a few patterns but they didn't quite fit what I had in mind.  So I began to try to work out my own pattern.   I went through many attempts and produced objects in all shapes and sizes, many of which resembled fish.  A little touch of Darwinism there, I thought.  Anyway, eventually I came up with this pattern for knitted doves which, I think, would make a lovely wedding decoration or gift. 

Knitted dove wedding decoration




I've made them to hang and added Congratulations ribbon ...

Knitted bird

But, if you added a small peg underneath, they could perch and the ribbon could say Good Luck, Thank You, Best Wishes, With Love ....

Knitted dove




And why stop at two?  Have a string of doves holding ribbons all round a room.  That's an idea I might visit very soon, in fact. I used vintage yarn for the doves (as I try to do for all my projects) on this occasion found in a local charity shop.

And the rejected birds?  Well the kittens had a good time batting them around the room!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jennie,
    Hope I'm not too late to welcome you to Blogland! Its so lovely to find you here - I shall add your link to my blog.
    You are a very talented lady - As you know, I have several of your painted signs. The 'herb' sign that I bought the last time that I saw you, is a great display item in my shop amongst gardenalia pieces. I love it.

    I may soon be an empty-nester, so know how you feel. Life is a constant readjustment.

    Take care,
    Niki :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennie
    Is your pattern for the knitted dove available for purchase? It looks perfect. If so let me know how much. I have been asked to help out a local non-profit Peace Group with a small project that includes knitted doves. If you can sell the pattern to me you will save me a lot of fiddling around.
    Bernadette
    Sydney Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bernadette,
    Glad you like the dove pattern. Unfortunately it is not currently available to purchase although that may change in the future. Good luck with your project.
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking for a knitting pattern for a dove and yours is the nicest one I've seen. Do you yet have a pattern for it for sale?

    Elizabeth Canada October 27 , 2013

    ReplyDelete
  5. ambothan.blogspot.com3 November 2013 at 06:14

    Hi Elizabeth,
    Thank you for your lovely comment on my dove pattern. I am getting around to revisiting old patterns and translating them so that other people can understand them but the pattern is (currently) still not available. Sorry!
    Jennnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also like the pattern for the dove above if possible!? Agneta Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dove is so beautiful, I would love the pattern x

      Delete