Saturday 5 May 2012

NOTHING is so beautiful as spring –

NOTHING is so beautiful as spring –
When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;
Thrush’s eggs look little low heavens, and thrush
Through the echoing timber does so rinse and wring
The ear, it strikes like lightnings to hear him sing;
The glassy peartree leaves and blooms, they brush
The descending blue; that blue is all in a rush
With richness; the racing lambs too have fair their fling.

Gerard Manley Hopkins knew how to write a poem:  he could take some alliteration, add a few metaphors, mix in a sprinkling of similies and put it all down on a page in a way that makes my heart skip like those racing lambs.  GMH obviously didn't have the dreary, depressing, drizzling April we've just endured!

I have a hen party to go to this afternoon and I am required to wear a pink sash.  I haven't worn a pink sash since I took my Grade I ballet exam four and a half decades ago and I don't intend to do so today.  However, by way of apology, I have made the bride-to-be a little something which I hope she will like ...


I have managed to get to a couple of car boot sales so I'll show you the best of the last few weeks ...


Embroidered pictures and some more china.  I seem to buy china every time I go out at the moment.


Lovely vintage boxes ...


Vintage bags and more (non-vintage but pretty) china.  So far so good on the only-buy-it-if-it-will-fit-in-a-shopping-bag rule but then I weakened and bought these ...


Boring at the moment but I have plans ....


1 comment:

  1. I’m sure the bride will be delighted. I look forward to seeing what you do with the tables.

    ReplyDelete